From Intern to Founder: A Data Analytics Journey
In this episode, Brian talks to Haroon Ali, founder of Stellify BI, on how he made the jump from corporate to consulting. In just six short years, Haroon went from being a graduate student in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering with no data analytics experience to becoming an Enterprise DNA intern, and from being a skilled corporate BI Analyst to founding a successful consulting firm.Brian and Haroon talk about a wide range of issues, including how to break into the BI field with no experience, the challenges of transitioning from a technical developer role to a management and leadership position, and advice for those considering making a similar leap to consulting.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode
- You don't need to learn everything right away; you just need to get your foot in the door and see what you like.
- The importance of diversity and why you don’t want to always be working with people like yourself
- Don’t be contained (or boxed in) by your job title.
- Take a step back instead of doing everything on your own, and delegate the tasks you cannot do.
- Concentrate on a few areas like SQL and Power BI, and be confident of your skill sets.
About The Show
The Analytic Mind podcast provides an opportunity to learn from a diverse range of global data leaders. Hosted by Sam McKay, CEO of Enterprise DNA. Covered will be a range of data and analytics topics keeping you up to date with recent trends, organizational challenges, and opportunities for innovation in this exciting space.