What It Takes To Develop A Successful BI Consultancy
In this episode, Brian talks to a range of BI experts who have managed to start and grow a successful consulting business out of their foundational skills. Listen as Rick de Groot, Paul Lucassen, and George Mount talk about what it takes to start and grow a consultancy business. They also share some tips and tricks on how to get a consulting business off the ground.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode
- Why you should pursue a career in data
- The business intelligence background of our guests
- Find 2 or 3 technologies you are an expert in, and then layer them to provide value
- Networking is important, so learn to use your contacts to find clients
- When you produce content (e.g. blogs, books, and videos) and share free knowledge, there is no barrier to entry
- How to find the value that you can bring to the table
- It’s all about trial and error to see what niche fits you
- On the feast and famine cycle: Rome wasn't built in a day, so there will be periods of variability. Always think for the long term
- Training people and publishing books are a great way to market yourself
- Is it better to be a generalist, a specialist, or a little bit of both?
- How the pandemic changed consulting businesses, and how you can adapt to these changing times
- Top advice for beginners who are thinking about consulting
- The future in the BI consultancy market
- The importance of sharing your knowledge with the BI community
About The Show
The Analytic Mind podcast provides an opportunity to learn from a diverse range of global data leaders. Hosted by Sam McKay, CEO of Enterprise DNA. Covered will be a range of data and analytics topics keeping you up to date with recent trends, organizational challenges, and opportunities for innovation in this exciting space.